Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Five Mile Fork in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

McCarty Farm

Battle of Chancellorsville - 1863

 
 
McCarty Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., April 28, 2008
1. McCarty Farm Marker
Inscription. Behind you, on the Orange Turnpike, stood the home of Frances McCarty. In 1860, Frances lived here with three members of her family. She owned 120 acres, three slaves, and scratched out a living as a farmer. Like so many residents of Sptosylvania County, the McCarty household suffered the intrusion and devastation brought on by the Civil War.

On the evening of April 30, 1863, the McCarty Farm was the scene of intense activity as Confederate soldiers constructed defensive earthworks across the property. The family was forced from their home, as the house was converted into a military headquarters and hospital. When they returned, both house and grounds were in shambles, with fresh graves scarring the once plowed fields.

After the war the remains of seven Union soldiers were removed from the property and interred at the Fredericksburg National Cemetery. The McCarty House survived the war but was destroyed at some later date.

”the place was very much destroyed by the use as fuel of the fencing, posts, wagon and other lumber…They also used the plank about the yard & stables & other wooden articles in burying the dead…”
Maria McCarty

 
Location. 38° 17.62′ N, 77° 34.314′ W. Marker is in
McCarty Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., April 28, 2008
2. McCarty Farm Marker
A paved trail leads up to the remains of hastily constructed, but never used, Confederate earthworks. See the nearby Earthworks Marker, in the other nearby markers section, for more information.
Five Mile Fork, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker can be reached from Plank Road/Germanna Highway (Virginia Route 3) near Harrison Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5701 Plank Road, Fredericksburg VA 22407, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Defense Turns to Offense (here, next to this marker); Earthworks (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roads Through the Battlefield (about 500 feet away); Opening of the Campaign (about 500 feet away); Spotswood’s Furnace (about 800 feet away); First Day at Chancellorsville (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named First Day at Chancellorsville (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named First Day at Chancellorsville (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Five Mile Fork.
 
More about this marker. In the lower left of this marker is a map showing the "Detail of Chancellorville [sic] (May 1-3, 1853), Map prepared by Bvt. Brigadier General Nathanial Michler (1867)."
 
Regarding McCarty Farm. This marker is grouped with the markers along McLaws Drive, Furnace Road, Sickles Drive, East Jackson Trail, and others on the east side of the battlefield. See the First Days of the Battle of Chancellorsville
Detail of map on the McCarty Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., April 28, 2008
3. Detail of map on the McCarty Farm Marker
On May 1, 1863, the ground between the McCarty Farm and Chancellorsville became a killing ground and the scene of the first day’s battle of Chancellorsville.
Virtual Tour by Markers
in the links section for a listing of related markers on the tour.
 
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Chancellorsville. National Parks Service site. (Submitted on May 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. First Days of the Battle of Chancellorsville Virtual Tour by Markers. This virtual tour by markers covers action from May 1-3, 1863. (Submitted on May 2, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
General William Mahone, picture from the McCarty Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., April 28, 2008
4. General William Mahone, picture from the McCarty Farm Marker
General William Mahone commanded the Confederate troops that occupied the McCarty Farm and established his headquarters in the house.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,432 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement