Clyo in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Early Baptists At Tuckasee King
The little band of Baptists at Tuckasee King then invited the Rev. Edmond Botsford to come to them. He accepted, preaching his first sermon June 27, 1771. The Rev. Mr. Botsford remained at Tuckasee King only one year, but it was here that he began his missionary work along the Savannah River and in the adjoining area, which was to continue until the Spring of 1779, when he was forced to flee Georgia, a fugitive from the Tories.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 051-10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 31.573′ N, 81° 16.183′ W. Marker is in Clyo, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 119 and Tuckasee King Road (County Route 84), on the right on State Highway 119. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Two Historic Savannah River Ferries (approx. 3 miles away); John Adam Treutlen (approx. 3 miles away); Old Mount Pleasant (approx. 3.6 miles away); Robertville (approx. 5.9 miles away in South Carolina); J. Lamar Brantley Road (approx. 5.9 miles away in South Carolina); Bethany (approx. 8.3 miles away); Tillman Baptist Church (approx. 10.4 miles away in South Carolina); Tillman (approx. 10.4 miles away in South Carolina). Click for a list of all markers in Clyo.
Regarding Early Baptists At Tuckasee King. Tuckasee King is named for the chief of an Uchee Indian village.
Also see . . .
1. A General History of the Baptist Denomination in America. By David Benedict, 1813...Oakmulgee Association; "There were about this time a few Baptist members at Goshen, Tuckaseeking, and other places; and Benjamin Stirk appear, to have been the most distinguished and active character among them. He was a native of Leeds, Yorkshire, England." (Submitted on May 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Edward Botsford. in The Baptist Encyclopedia by William Cathcart, page 119. (Submitted on May 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
3. Effingham County History and Information:Extended History. Other Information: The historical record of Effingham County's different courthouses is sketchy to non-existent. In the county's history, four towns have served as county seat -- Tuckasee King (1784-87), Elberton (1787-97), Ebenezer (1797-99), and Springfield (1799-today). There is no record as to what served as courthouse in Tuckasee King and Elberton. All that is known about Ebenezer is that town officials apparently built a courthouse and jail there in 1797 or 1798. But this action was done without sanction of the General Assembly, which in 1797 provided that Effingham court session be held at the home of James Wilson until a new county seat could be selected. In 1799, the legislature named Springfield as county seat and directed the building of a courthouse there. In 1816, the General Assembly authorized Effingham County to levy a tax for building a new courthouse. If and when the tax was levied and a courthouse built is not known. Reportedly, a new courthouse was completed in 1849. That building served until the current courthouse was constructed in 1908. County Seat: At the time of Effingham County's creation, the American Revolution (Submitted on May 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,415 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.