Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works

Historic Third Ward

 
 
W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, November 17, 2011
1. W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works Marker
Inscription.
This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places

W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works
Designed by A.V. Wiskovil
Tour Site 49
1908

 
Erected by Historic Third Ward Walking Tour. (Marker Number 49.)
 
Location. 43° 1.908′ N, 87° 54.433′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on North Broadway, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 159 N. Broadway, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wirth, Hammel and Co., Horse Stables (a few steps from this marker); O.R. Pieper Co. Grocers (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Isabella Ryder Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Milwaukee Fire Dept. Engine Co. #10 (within shouting distance of this marker); Clemens H. Kalvelage Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birth of Pizza in Milwaukee (within shouting distance of this marker); Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings (within shouting distance of this marker); Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Regarding W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works.
W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, November 17, 2011
2. W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works
A.V. Wiskocil built this iron works warehouse in 1908 for Wenzel Toepfer, an "ingenious mechanic" who invented machinery for the malting and brewing industries. Due to Prohibition's effect on the trade, he sold the building to the Clark & Host Coffee Co. in 1920. In 1943 the H.F. Auler Co., a hobby and toy wholesaler, purchased it. Today, it houses a clothing store and East Town Women's Shop. - Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement