Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

A.W. Rich Shoe Co.

Historic Third Ward

 
 
A.W. Rich Shoe Co. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, November 1, 2011
1. A.W. Rich Shoe Co. Marker
Inscription.
This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
A.W. Rich Shoe Co.
Designed by Robert Messmer & Co.
Tour Site 63
1900

 
Erected by Historic Third Ward Walking Tour. (Marker Number 63.)
 
Location. 43° 1.958′ N, 87° 54.361′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of East Chicago Street and North Milwaukee Street when traveling east on East Chicago Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 E. Chicago St, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Standard Bedding Co. (a few steps from this marker); Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #4 (within shouting distance of this marker); Phoenix Knitting Plant #3 (within shouting distance of this marker); Phoenix Knitting Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Third Ward Fire (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing); Milwaukee Fire Dept. Engine Co. #10 (about 300 feet away); American Candy Company (about 300 feet away); American Wholesale Grocery Company (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Regarding A.W. Rich Shoe Co..
A.W. Rich Shoe Co. image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, November 1, 2011
2. A.W. Rich Shoe Co.
In 1900, the architectural firm of Robert Messmer & Son designed a building for the A.W. Rich Shoe Company, famous for the "wigwam" slipper. Shoe manufacturing continued there until 1942. Between 1943 and 1962 two other manufacturers, including the Jack Winter Co., occupied the building. Hy Zeiger Co., wholesalers, bought the building in 1963 for warehousing and distributing promotional merchandise. The company remained at this location until February of 1998, when Eppstein Uhen Architects purchased the building. They undertook a major renovation that was dedicated to maintaining the building's historical details while incorporating modern amenities. The building serves as the firm's corporate headquarters.
- Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement