Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Baumbach Building

Historic Third Ward

 
 
Baumbach Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, November 1, 2011
1. Baumbach Building Marker
Inscription.
This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Baumbach Building
Designed by Eugene R. Liebert
First occupant Cohen Bros., Clothiers
Tour Site 14
1900

 
Erected by Historic Third Ward. (Marker Number 14.)
 
Location. 43° 2.043′ N, 87° 54.425′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of East Buffalo Street and North Broadway, on the left when traveling east on East Buffalo Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 E. Buffalo Street, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kalvelage Wholesale Commission House (within shouting distance of this marker); Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #6 (within shouting distance of this marker); Roundy, Peckham & Dexter Co. Grocers (within shouting distance of this marker); Fred Vogel Jr. Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hambach Store and Residence (about 300 feet away); Jewett & Sherman Co. Merchant Mill
Baumbach Building image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, November 1, 2011
2. Baumbach Building
(about 300 feet away); Broadway Produce Co. (about 300 feet away); National Distilling Co. (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Regarding Baumbach Building. Ernst von Baumbach hired Eugene R. Liebert to design the Baumbach Building in 1900. Distinguished by the arched upper windows and terra cotta ornamentation, this impressive commercial building was originally occupied by the Cohen Brothers, a men's clothing firm. In 1946, Midwest Lamp & Novelty Co. remodeled the building and used it for plating, shade assembly and storage operations. Renovated again in 1983 and renamed the Buffalo Building, the structure houses Capital Data, Capital Internet, and more. Residential condominiums occupy the other three floors.
- Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement