New Bern in Craven County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
John Wright Stanly House
A House Divided
After Union forces defeated Confederate troops in the Battle of New Bern on March 14, 1862, this house was selected as the headquarters of Union commander Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside. Later in the war, the house served as headquarters for Stanly General Hospital (later called Foster General Hospital) and as a convent for the Sisters of Mercy, Roman Catholic nuns who worked as nurses in the hospital.
John Wright Stanly built his house between 1779 and 1783. During the Civil War, it stood on it original site at the southwest corner of New and Middle Streets (current site of a 1930s Federal building and parking
Erected 2004 by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Location. 35° 6.436′ N, 77° 2.667′ W. Marker is in New Bern, North Carolina, in Craven County. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Bern NC 28562, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named John Wright Stanly House (a few steps from this marker); Washington's Southern Tour (within shouting distance of this marker); Jones House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tryon Palace (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Walker Hood (about 500 feet away); Attmore-Oliver House (about 600 feet away); George H. White (about 700 feet away); New Bern Academy (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in New Bern.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 5. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.