Canton in Haywood County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Locust Field Cemetery
In September 1863, when Union forces captured Cumberland Gap, about three or four hundred 62nd North Carolina Infantry soldiers escaped. Many of these men were Haywood County natives and returned to their homes here. They joined other members of the regiment who were here on furlough and camped at Pigeon River, the name given to Canton before the small town was officially incorporated nearly thirty years later. Although few records exist of exactly where the soldiers camped, Locust Old Fields Church was likely the location.
The church and cemetery were again used as a Confederate encampment during the winter of 1864-1865, when Col. James Robert Love and six companies of Thomasís Legion camped at Locust Old Fields Church. They later took park in some of the last fighting of the war in Asheville and Waynesville in April and May 1865.
Today, as one of Haywood Countyís oldest cemeteries, Locust
(lower left) The first Locust Old Fields Church served as an encampment and muster site during the Civil War. Courtesy of the Canton Area Historical Museum
(upper right) Col. James Robert Love, Thomasís Legion, and his men wintered on Locust Old Fields Church in 1864-1865 before fighting in some of the last battles of the Civil War. Courtesy North Carolina Office of Archives and History
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 31.762′ N, 82° 50.084′ W. Marker is in Canton, North Carolina, in Haywood County. Marker is at the intersection of Locust Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Locust Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 Pennsylvania Ave, Canton NC 28716, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morning Star Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Haywood County World War II Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rutherford Trace (approx. 1.4 miles away); Garden Creek (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Armed Forces from Clyde Town-ship (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Shook House (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Rutherford Trace (approx. 7.2 miles away); Honorable Chief Junaluska (approx. 7.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Canton.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.