Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beaver in Beaver County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Beaver Territorial Courthouse

 
 
Beaver Territorial Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 16, 2014
1. Beaver Territorial Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Beaver Territorial Courthouse is considered one of the finest examples of Pioneer architecture. The architect, K.A. Kletting, designed the building in the Queen Ann style with Victorian overtones. The courthouse was constructed under the direction of William Stokes, a soldier of the Union army, stationed at nearby Fort Cameron. Constructed of local materials, the courthouse was built between 1877 and 1882, twenty-one years after Beaver was settled. The original cost of construction was $10,900. the three-storied structure had a deep basement made of black volcanic rock, and the upper portion was constructed of red brick. The building was finished with a tower, which was equipped with a good striking clock which faced all four directions. The clock chimed hourly. Throughout the years additions have been made to the original structure. Vaults and a county jail built of pink sandstone were eventually added to the courthouse.

Beaver was proclaimed the seat of the Second District Territorial Court in September 1870. During that time, the courthouse served as the center of justice for the expansive territory bordered by the Colorado River on the east and south and Nevada Territory on the west. Utah received statehood in 1896 and the Beaver Territorial Courthouse became known as the Beaver County Courthouse.

The courthouse
Beaver Territorial Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 16, 2014
2. Beaver Territorial Courthouse Marker
survived a fire in 1889, an earthquake in 1901, and intended demolition in 1970, when a new courthouse was constructed. The courthouse was saved from demolition by the diligent efforts of Beaver Company Daughters of Utah Pioneers. Their committee, comprised of Susie Beeson, Clerynth Larson, Lulu T. Tanner, Viola Yardley, Phoebe Warby, Alta C Hickman, Margery Mackrell, Delia Nowers, Beatrice Hurst, and Jessie Ward, petitioned State Senators and County Commissioners to save the building. On December 5, 1974, county officials and DUP signed a 100-year lease which saved the historically significant courthouse. The building is now used as a DUP Pioneer Museum, and it is hoped that the building will remain in place for many generations for all posterity to enjoy. Renovations were completed in 2010.
 
Erected 2013 by Beaver Company Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 570.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 38° 16.44′ N, 112° 38.385′ W. Marker is in Beaver, Utah, in Beaver County. Marker is at the intersection of East Center Street and South 100 East Street, on the right when traveling east on East Center Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beaver UT 84713, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Beaver Territorial Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 16, 2014
3. Beaver Territorial Courthouse
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philo T. Farnsworth (a few steps from this marker); Beaver Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Beaver Relief Society Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Beaver Stake Tabernacle (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Cameron (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer Park (approx. half a mile away); Grimshaw Home (approx. half a mile away); The Beaver Woolen Mills (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Beaver.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Beaver Territorial Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, June 16, 2014
4. Beaver Territorial Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement