HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Francis Xavier Church
 
St. Francis Xavier Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, May 3, 2008
1. St. Francis Xavier Church Marker
 
Inscription. Dedicated on February 21, 1864, St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church was the first black parish in the U.S. The church originated in the 1790s due to the efforts of the Sulpician Fathers and the Oblate Sisters of Providence to provide education and religious services for the black Catholic refugees from San Domingo.

Father Peter L. Miller formally founded the church in 1864 in a historical building on the corner of Calvert and Pleasant Streets. This structure, pictured below, once served as the First Universalist Church and later housed such historic meetings as the 1844 Whig nomination of Henry Clay, the 1848 Democratic nomination of General Cass, and an 1861 attempt to withdraw Maryland from the Union.

On December 10, 1871, the Josephite fathers, a religious community dedicated to working among blacks, took charge of the church. Subsequently the church founded several other parishes, including St. Monica's, St. Peter Claver, and Christ the King. One of the most notable members of St. Francis Xavier Church was Father Charles Randolph Uncles, the first black priest ordained in the U.S. Construction of the Orleans Street Viaduct forced the church to move to new quarters on Caroline Street in 1933. In 1968, the church moved to its present site. This church was designed in the French Renaissance style by John Stack and Sons in 1902.
 
Marker location Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, May 3, 2008
2. Marker location
On the Northwest corner of the church.
 

 
Erected by the City of Baltimore.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
 
Location. 39° 18.433′ N, 76° 35.881′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of North Caroline Street and East Oliver Street, on the right when traveling north on North Caroline Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21213, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); Green Mount Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Patapsco Friends Meeting House (approx. 0.8 miles away); William H. Welch House (approx. one mile away); Thomas Wildey Monument (approx. one mile away); Site of Poe’s Death (approx. one mile away); Church Home and Hospital (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Also see . . .  St. Francis Xavier Church website. (Submitted on May 3, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
St. Francis Xavier Church Photo, Click for full size
By Christopher Busta-Peck, May 3, 2008
3. St. Francis Xavier Church
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,560 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 3, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 309 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.