Whitingham in Windham County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Green Mountain Hall
The structure, originally of Greek Revival design, was built in 1861 as a Universalist Church. As its membership declined toward the end of the 19th century, the Congregation found it necessary to relinquish ownership to a community association, the Green Mountain Club. In 1909 the association disbanded and turned ownership over to the town.
During the ensuing years, the building was used for Town Meetings, plays, dances and basketball games. Two additions were also made to the building. A large stage was added to the back of the building and a porch and vestibule to the front which altered the original Greek Revival style to what is now termed "Vermont Vernacular".
In 1973 the Board of Selectmen leased the building to the Whitingham Historical Society.
Erected by Town of Whitingham.
Location. 42° 47.315′ N, 72° 53.069′ W. Marker is in Whitingham, Vermont, in Windham County. Marker is on Stimpson Hill Road 0.1 miles south of Vermont Route 100, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 Stimpson Hill Road, Whitingham VT 05361, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brigham Young Birthplace Wilmington Veterans Monument (approx. 5.5 miles away); Crafts Inn (approx. 5.6 miles away); Elizabeth Page “Molly” Stark, 1737 – 1814 (approx. 5.6 miles away); Wilmington Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); 7 West Main Street (approx. 5.6 miles away); Lyman House (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Norton House (approx. 5.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Green Mountain Hall is also the home of the Whitingham Historical Society. The society is open to the public on Sundays from May to October.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.