Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Michigan City in LaPorte County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Michigan City Lighthouse

 
 
Michigan City Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 22, 2014
1. Michigan City Lighthouse Marker
Inscription. This lighthouse built in 1858 replaced 1837 lighthouse built at water's edge. Remodeled in 1904. Light placed at end of pier. Seven keepers and fourteen assistant keepers served here 1837-1940.
 
Location. 41° 43.38′ N, 86° 54.357′ W. Marker is in Michigan City, Indiana, in LaPorte County. Marker can be reached from Lake Shore Drive 0.1 miles west of Franklin Street. Click for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the Michigan City Old Lighthouse Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Washington Street, Michigan City IN 46360, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan City Spanish War Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Michigan City GAR Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Michigan City Civil War Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Private First Class Daniel D. Bruce (about 400 feet away); Michigan City Memorial Plaza (about 400 feet away); Michigan City World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lincoln Funeral Train (approx. 0.3 miles away); Michigan City Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Michigan City.
 
More about this marker. Although the marker is similar in shape,
Michigan City Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 22, 2014
2. Michigan City Lighthouse
Marker is located at the entrance
to the grounds of the Old Lighthouse Museum
design, and color, it is not an Indiana state historical marker.
 
Regarding Michigan City Lighthouse. The Michigan City Lighthouse was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on November 5, 1974.
 
Also see . . .  Michigan City Historical Society, Inc. - Old Lighthouse Museum. (Submitted on July 27, 2014.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Marker History
According to the LaPorte County Historical Society, the marker was originally dedicated in 1966 and replaced on Memorial Day in 1983. The original description on the marker was: "Built on the water's edge, 1858 by the United States Government. One of the first lights on the Great Lakes. Harriet E. Colfax was the tender from 1853 to 1904. Remodeled 1904, electrified 1933, discontinued 1960."
    — Submitted July 28, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
Michigan City Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 22, 2014
3. Michigan City Lighthouse Marker
Michigan City Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 22, 2014
4. Michigan City Lighthouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement