Sackets Harbor in Jefferson County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Smoothbore Muzzle Loader Cannon
Length: 9.3 feet - Wieight: About 3,800 pounds
Bore diameter: 4.6 inches - Range: 1,500 yards at 5° elevation
In 1961, this War of 1812 era, 12-pounder British long gun was found in the St. Lawrence River near Carleton Island. Similar cannon were standard armament on British 32-gun frigates' upper decks, or at Sackets Harbor on the corvette U.S.S. Madison and gun boats Ontario, Asp, Julia, and Hamilton. To fire the cannon, a 10-to-12 man crew used 4 pounds of black powder with solid, 12-pound iron round shot, bar shot, grape shot, or canister shot.
Erected by the State of New York.
Location. 43° 56.952′ N, 76° 7.586′ W. Marker is in Sackets Harbor, New York, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from Washington Street east of Ontario Street. Click for map. This historical marker is located near the center of the Sackets Harbor Battlefield State Park, off of the trail and in the grassy green area just southwest of the Centennial Monument. Marker is in this post office area: Sackets Harbor NY 13685, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker American Dragoon Commander Wounded (within shouting distance of this marker); 1913 Centennial Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Sackets Harbor Battlefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Fight for the Cantonment Area (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Tompkins (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Tompkins (about 500 feet away); The British Withdrawal (about 500 feet away); The British Advance is Halted (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sackets Harbor.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 209 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.