Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

General Edward H. Tarrant

 
 
General Edward H. Tarrant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, July 17, 2009
1. General Edward H. Tarrant Marker
Inscription. In this vicinity May 24, 1841 General Edward H. Tarrant with 70 men attacked several Indian villages situated along a creek (now called Village Creek) and recovered many horses and much stolen plunder. 12 Indians were killed and many wounded. Of the Texans Captain John B. Denton was killed. Captains Henry Stout and Griffin were wounded.
 
Location. 32° 43.41′ N, 97° 11.211′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Pioneer Parkway (State Highway 303 Spur) 0.3 miles west of Green Oaks Boulevard, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington TX 76013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harrison Cemetery (approx. 2.5 miles away); Isham Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 4.5 miles away); Bankhead Highway Through Arlington (approx. 4.8 miles away); Carver Dixon King (approx. 4.9 miles away); Sloan-Journey Expedition of 1838 (approx. 6.8 miles away); Site of Bird's Fort (approx. 6.8 miles away); Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain (approx. 7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
Part of flood plain of Village Creek. Facing northeast. image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, July 17, 2009
2. Part of flood plain of Village Creek. Facing northeast.
Arlington Golf Course image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, July 17, 2009
3. Arlington Golf Course
The Arlington Golf Course lies across the road from the marker. Located on the 7th tee an additional marker (not shown here) provides additional information reading: "Archeological excavations along the course of this Trinity River tributary have unearthed evidence of several prehistoric villages. Artifacts from the area date back almost 9,000 years and represent a culture of food-gatherers and hunters. In the 1830s the Creek served as a sanctuary for several Indian tribes who made frequent raids on frontier settlements. The conflict grew worse in 1841 when major attacks were reported in Fannin and Red River Counties. Brigadier General Edward H. Tarrant (1796-1858) of the Republic of Texas Militia led a company of volunteers in a punitive expedition against Indian villages in this area. On May 24, 1841, following brief skirmishes at several encampments, two scouting patrols were attacked near the mouth of the Creek and retreated to the main camp. Reportedly twelve Indians and one soldier, Captain John B. Denton, were killed. As result of the Battle of Village Creek, many tribes began moving west. Others were later removed under terms of the 1843 Treaty signed at Bird's Fort (10 mi. NE) which opened the area to colonization. Much of the battle site is now located beneath the waters of Lake Arlington."
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,877 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement