Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plymouth in Plymouth County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Town House of Plymouth

 
 
The Town House of Plymouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, July 17, 2014
1. The Town House of Plymouth Marker
Inscription.
On this site until 1749 stood
The Government House
Of the old Colony
In that year this building was erected
By the county for a court house
It was used jointly by the county
And the town until 1820
And then became the property of the town
And has ever since been used as a Town House

 
Location. 41° 57.325′ N, 70° 39.859′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker is on 2 Town Square. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth MA 02360, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burial Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander Scammell (within shouting distance of this marker); Tercentenary Cannons (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1630-1930 (about 600 feet away); William Bradford (about 700 feet away); Cole’s Hill (about 700 feet away); Plymouth Waterfront (about 800 feet away); Leyden Street (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Plymouth.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
The Town House of Plymouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, July 17, 2014
2. The Town House of Plymouth Marker
The Town House of Plymouth image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, July 17, 2014
3. The Town House of Plymouth
Being within the boundaries of the Summer-high Street urban renewal project, this building was condemned by the Town of Plymouth as being not fit for human habitation due to structural weakness. As a result, the building was in danger of being demolished. However, because of its Historical significance and as a result of new Federal Historic Preservation Legislation, The Plymouth Redevelopment Authority was successful in gaining approval from the United states Department of Housing and Urban Development to expend project funds to provide for complete restoration of the Court Room, offices and Interior structure. Funds for the restoration of the Exterior were made available by vote of the Town in March 1966 and by public contributions. Restoration activities were carried out by the Plymouth Redevelopment Authority and the 1749 Courthouse Committee during the Period 1967-1970. Commissioners Plymouth Redevelopment Authority Clifford E. Sampson, Chairman Mahlon W. Walker Edward B. McCaferri Russell T. Fry Ralph L. Drew A.V. Battista, Executive Director 1749 Courthouse Committee Allen D. Russell, Chairman Harold A. Boyer John P. Ryan, Esquire Honorable Hugh R. Maragry Leona Asker, Secretary
Plymouth image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, July 17, 2014
4. Plymouth
To Provincetown 77 M To Boston 45 M
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 193 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement