Welcome to the Seneca Council Grounds
On October 1, 1872, Letchworth organized what he called a "rededication ceremony" at the Council House, inviting Seneca and Mohawk descendants of Revolutionary war leaders and other notable Native Americans. They called the ceremony "The last Council Fire in the Genesee Valley."
Former President Millard Fillmore, on behalf of Mr. Letchworth, gave each Council Fire participant a silver coin, which depicted two hands joined in friendship. In recognition of this event and Letchworth's efforts on their behalf, the Seneca delegation adopted him into the Wolf Clan and named him "Hai-wa-ye-is-tah," the man who always does right.
This stereograph shows William P. Letchworth (left) and John Stearns Minard, o [sic] surveyor interested
This photograph, taken at "The Last Council Fire" in 1872, includes all of the Native American guests that Mr. Letchworth invited. Former President Millard Fillmore is fourth from the right.
The Council House was carefully dismantled and each of its logs numbered. It was shipped by barge on the Genesee Valley Canal and reassembled here in 1871.
Erected by Letchworth State Park.
Location. 42° 35.16′ N, 78° 2.597′ W. Marker is in Genesee Falls, New York, in Wyoming County. Marker can be reached from Council Grounds Access Road 0.2 miles west of Park Road. Click for map. Marker is located on a four-part double sided shelter style board at the Council Grounds in Letchworth State Park. The access road to the marker is off the main Park Road just north of the Glen Iris Inn and the southern end of the park. The sign for the Council Grounds is excellent. The access road ends in a parking area. Park and make a hairpin turn to the grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Castile NY 14427, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Council Grounds Ca. 1907...and Under Restoration (here, next to this marker); Mary Jemison (here, next to
More about this marker. This marker shares the four-part board with "Mary Jemison", "The Council Grounds CA. 1907" and "...and under restoration." There is a separate plaque on the Council House itself.
Also see . . .
1. Letchworth State Park - New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. (Submitted on August 5, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. The Council Grounds - Letchworth State Park History. (Submitted on August 5, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Peace •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 239 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.