Hales Corners in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Hales Corners – A Crossroads Community
Settlers soon came. Seneca Hale claimed land here in 1837 and began farming. In 1840 he and his wife, Helena, bought their 160 acre parcel (a full quarter section) for $1.25 per acre. Their land lay southwest of this point. William Hale, brother of Seneca, claimed the quarter section northwest of here in 1838. He and his wife, Bridget, were the parents of the first baby born to a settler in Hales Corners. William became the first postmaster in 1854, and it is said that the village is named for him. Ebenezer Hale, father of Seneca and William, bought the quarter section on which you stand, 1n 1838.
Forest Home Avenue and Janesville Road (formerly known as the Janesville Plank Road) form two sides of what is commonly called the Triangle. These roads followed old Indian trails. For many years, the Janesville Plank Road was the only road between Hales Corners and Milwaukee.
The South side Hotel, built on the Triangle in 1848, served as an overnight stop for farmers hauling wheat and produce to market, for settlers pushing west, and for miners from southwestern Wisconsin hauling lead ore to the port. In 1899 Otto Neussel
The first four schools in Hales Corners were built in succession on the Triangle, on land that is now part of Highway 100. The last of the old schools, (converted to a private residence in later years), plus homes and businesses, were acquired by the state in the late 1950s. By 1960 the Triangle, the heart of Hales Corners, had been cleared of buildings and substantially reduced to the present size to make room for highway development.
Erected by Hales Corners Historical Society. (Marker Number 1.)
Location. 42° 56.179′ N, 88° 2.835′ W. Marker is in Hales Corners, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on West Forest Home Avenue ¼ mile east of South 108th Street (Wisconsin Route 100), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10731 West Forest Home Avenue, Hales Corners WI 53130, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The German Evangelical Church / Brach’s Animal Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Hales Corners – A Suburb (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hales Corners – A Farm Village Turn of the Century Business District (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Village Emerges! (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Wisconsin's Lime Industry (approx. 1.3 miles away); Boyhood Home of Jeremiah Curtin (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hales Corners.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.