Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Huron in Saint Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fort Gratiot Light

 
 
Fort Gratiot Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 5, 2014
1. Fort Gratiot Light Marker
Inscription.

In 1825, A lighthouse was established near the mouth of the St. Clair River, at the southern end of Lake Huron. It sat just north of Fort Gratiot, a military outpost that would give the lighthouse its name. That light, of poor construction and location, crumbled during a September storm in 1828.

Bids were soon offered for the replacement of the light, and in 1829 Lucius Lyon received the contract to build the new tower for a price of $4,445. The new tower's location was moved a half mile north of the original tower, which would prove more visible by the mariners navigating on the lake. The tower and keeper's dwelling were completed in late winter of 1829.

Since 1829, a few changes have taken place. The tower height was raised from 65 feet to 82 feet in 1862 and in 2011, a massive restoration effort replaced 35,000 damaged bricks on the outer shell of the tower.

The Fort Gratiot Lighthouse is the oldest in the State of Michigan and the second oldest in all the Great Lakes.

[Photos of lighthouse in]
1870, 1904, 1913, 1945, 2011
 
Erected by Port Huron Museum, Saint Clair County, Michigan Dept of Environmental Quality, and NOAA.
 
Location. 43° 0.4′ N, 82° 25.347′ 
Fort Gratiot Lighthouse and Markers image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
2. Fort Gratiot Lighthouse and Markers
W. Marker is in Port Huron, Michigan, in Saint Clair County. Click for map. Marker is about 125 feet north of the lighthouse at Fort Gratiot Light Station County Park, where Lake Huron empties into the St. Clair River. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2800 Omar Street, Port Huron MI 48060, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seeing the Light (here, next to this marker); The Storm (here, next to this marker); Learning from Lake Huron (here, next to this marker); Sending a Signal (here, next to this marker); Keepers Duties (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Gratiot Light (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Saint Joseph (approx. 0.4 miles away); Great Storm of 1913 and Sailors Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Huron.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Gratiot Lighthouse. (Submitted on August 8, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fort Gratiot Light Station County Park. (Submitted on August 8, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Fort Gratiot Lighthouse. (Submitted on August 8, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. Legendary Lighthouses (PBS). (Submitted on August 8, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. CommunicationsForts, CastlesMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
Fort Gratiot Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
3. Fort Gratiot Lighthouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement