Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bastrop in Bastrop County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Early History of the City of Bastrop

 
 
Early History of the City of Bastrop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Heinich, August 8, 2014
1. Early History of the City of Bastrop Marker
Inscription. Long before white men arrived, this region was inhabited by Tonkawa and Comanche Indians. In 1691 the first Spanish explorers crossed this territory en route to east Texas. From their route, parts of “El Camino Real” (the King's Highway) were blazed, thus placing Bastrop on a major early travel artery.

Because El Camino Real crossed the Colorado River here, this was a strategic spot. In 1805 the Fort “Puesta del Colorado” and accompanying community were founded here to protect commerce on the road. In 1825 this area became “Mina,” one of the first settlements in the colony of Stephen F. Austin. It was named for revolutionary leader Xavier Mina.

In the years that followed, many members of its first 100 families served in the Texas Revolution (1836), the Mexican War (1846-1848), and were active in political life in the Republic and State of Texas.

In 1837 when the town incorporated, the name was changed to “Bastrop” to honor the Baron de Bastrop, influential early land agent and statesman. The city was also designated county seat in 1837.

From 1851-1870, this was seat of Bastrop Military Academy, an important Texas school. First courthouse was built in 1853; present one in 1883 on the same spot.
 
Erected
City of Bastrop Marker from across the street image. Click for full size.
By Michael Heinich, August 8, 2014
2. City of Bastrop Marker from across the street
1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9151.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 30° 6.642′ N, 97° 17.594′ W. Marker is in Bastrop, Texas, in Bastrop County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Chestnut Street (State Highway 21) and Loop State Highway 150, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located at the entrance to Bastrop State Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 Highway 21 E, Bastrop TX 78602, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lost Pines of Texas (here, next to this marker); The Gotier Trace (a few steps from this marker); Felipe Entrique Neri, Baron De Bastrop (approx. 0.6 miles away); Thomas H. Mays (approx. 1.3 miles away); Primera Baptist Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bastrop (approx. 1.5 miles away); The Bastrop Advertiser (approx. 1.5 miles away); First National Bank of Bastrop (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bastrop.
 
Categories. Native AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence
 
Early History of the City of Bastrop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, April 21, 2015
3. Early History of the City of Bastrop Marker
Marker is just outside the entrance to Bastrop State Park. Photo shows view of entrance from near marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas.   3. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement