Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Algood in Putnam County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

White Plains

 
 
White Plains Marker image. Click for full size.
By Deanna Lack, August 11, 2014
1. White Plains Marker
Inscription. William P. Quarles, a Revolutionary War veteran, settled here in 1805. A favorite stopping place on the Old Walton Road, which was built by the state in the early 1800s to join Nashville and Knoxville, White Plains contained a first-class inn, school, and general store. Putnam County's first post office was located here.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2D 21.)
 
Location. 36° 10.55′ N, 85° 26.763′ W. Marker is in Algood, Tennessee, in Putnam County. Marker is on Old Walton Road east of Deck Mountain Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cookeville TN 38506, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named White Plains (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Salem Methodist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Israel Putnam (approx. 3.1 miles away); Putnam County Courthouses (approx. 3.1 miles away); Town Spring (approx. 3.2 miles away); Dixie College (approx. 3.2 miles away); Walton Road - Old Burnt Stand (approx. 3.3 miles away); Tennessee Central Depot (approx. 3.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
White Plains Marker image. Click for full size.
By Deanna Lack, August 11, 2014
2. White Plains Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Deanna Lack of Sparta, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Deanna Lack of Sparta, Tennessee. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement