Fort Montgomery in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
An abundance of cattle, pig, sheep, chicken, duck, pigeon, and fish bones was found in a large trash dump just outside the building's west wall, indicating that the soldiers were generally well-supplied with meat. The animals were probably utchered on site and the meat cooked in soups and stews that were eaten from bowls using large pewter spoons. The scarcity of bones and other debris inside the barracks suggests that the soldiers regularly cleaned the building.
“Two or more Persons are to be appointed whose Duty it shall be daily to remove all Filth & Nastiness from about the Barracks and Garrisons.”
General George Clinton
Fort Montgomery, 25th July 1776.
Erected by Fort Montgomery
Location. 41° 19.542′ N, 73° 59.237′ W. Marker is in Fort Montgomery, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on U.S. 9W, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in Fort Montgomery State Historic Site on the walking trail, near Route 9W. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Montgomery NY 10922, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle Around the Redoubts (within shouting distance of this marker); North Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); Enlisted Men’s & Officers’ Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Montgomery (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers’ Necessary (within shouting distance of this marker); Guard House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Powder Magazine (about 400 feet away); The Battle of Fort Montgomery (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Montgomery.
More about this marker. The center of the marker contains an "Illustration of the barracks by Jack Mead."
The picture of the barracks is surrounded by several objects excavated from the site, including buttons, buckles, a bottle, a pot, spoons, a poiset cup, a cup and plate and sleeve links. They have a caption
The buttons have a caption of "The presence of several buttons marked 'NY' indicate that Continental soldiers from New York regiments, the 2nd and 5th, were housed here."
The spoons and poiset bowl have a caption of "Bowls and pewter spoons were common at Fort Montgomery. Most of the spoons bear their owner’s initials."
The sleeve links contain the caption "By the time of the Revolution, an increasing number of Americans owned material associated with a genteel lifestyle. By contrast, archeology at New Winsor Cantonment, which was the final encampment of the Continental Army’s Northern Department (1782-83), revealed that these materials had become much more scarce by the war’s end."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This series of markers follow the walking tour of the Fort Montgomery Battlefield.
Also see . . .
1. The Battle of Fort's Montgomery and Clinton. The American Revolutionary War. (Submitted on May 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. The Battle of Fort's Montgomery and Clinton. (Submitted on May 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,290 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.