Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Brown's Brigade

Stewart's Division

 

—Buckner's Corps. —

 
Brown's Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 7, 2014
1. Brown's Brigade Marker
Inscription.
Brown's Brigade.
Stewart's Division - Buckner's Corps.
Colonel Edmund C. Cook.

September 20, 1863, 11 A.M., 2d Position
18th Tennessee - Captain Gideon H. Lowe.
26th Tennessee - Major Richard M. Saffell.
32d Tennessee - Captain Calaway G. Tucker.
45th Tennessee - Colonel Anderson Searcy.
23d Tennessee Battalion - Captain W.P. Simpson.
T.H. Dawson's (Georgia) Battery - Lieutenant R.W. Anderson.


About 11 o'clock the Brigade with Wood's on its right moved forward from its position beyond the first crest east of this position. Upon reaching the open ground it came under a terrific fire from the troops of Brannan's line posted behind barricades of rails and stone west of the Poe place, and from an enfilading fire from the infantry and artillery of Reynolds' Division near the north end of the field. The left of the Brigade crossed the road but after severe fighting was repulsed with heavy loss. It then withdrew to its morning line and remained unengaged until the general advance shortly before sundown. Strength in action 1440 officers and men, Casualties: killed 50; wounded 426; missing 4; total 480; percentage of loss 33.3.
 
Erected by Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
Brown's Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 7, 2014
2. Brown's Brigade Marker
View, looking north, of the historical marker, situated along the western side of the Lafayette Road.
. (Marker Number 1137.)
 
Location. 34° 55.279′ N, 85° 15.667′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is on Lafayette Road north of Poe Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. This historical marker is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, on the eastern edge of an open field, situated between the east side of the national park's battlefield tour roadway called Poe Road and along the west side of the Lafayette Road. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Darden's Mississippi Battery (a few steps from this marker); Clayton's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Site of Poe House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kolb's Alabama Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Massenburg's Georgia Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Massenburg's Georgia Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); 32nd Tennessee Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Havis' Georgia Battery (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
 
More about this marker. I used
Brown's Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 7, 2014
3. Brown's Brigade Marker
View, looking north along the Lafayette Road, of the historical marker in the open field where the Poe House was once located.
the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the monument number for this marker and the marker's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP Monument Numbering System)."
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Brown's Brigade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 7, 2014
4. Brown's Brigade Marker
View of the historical marker, looking west, across the open field where the Poe House had been located, towards the Poe Road.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement