Eagle Harbor in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Eagle Harbor House
Built by the Eagle Harbor Mining Company in 1845, Eagle Harbor House opened to boarders and travelers in 1846, the beginning of the Keweenaw copper rush. It is the las remaining log building of the first four in Eagle Harbor. In 1852 German immigrant Charles Kunz purchased the inn, adding a blacksmith shop and warehouses. Kunz became Keweenaw County's first sheriff in 1861. He owned the boardinghouse until his death in 1902. It was inherited by his nephew Thomas E. Parks.
Although the economy was based primarily on copper mining, the Keweenaw Peninsula lured visitors with its natural beauty. Beginning in 1846, Eagle Harbor House provided safe lodging to businessmen, prospectors and travelers. Thomas E. Parks, Keweenaw County sheriff from 1931 to 1936, owned the property from 1902 to 1944. J.C. Westlake purchased the business in 1946, and his son Fred operated it until 19173. Rehabilitation begun in 1995 restored many interior features.
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center-Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2046.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 47° 27.409′ N, 88° Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mohawk MI 49950, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eagle Harbor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lake Shore Drive Bridge / Eagle River (approx. 7 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.