Eagle Harbor in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Eagle Harbor was settled by copper prospectors in 1844 and later became headquarters for many of the copper mines located along the range of hills to the south.
The Knights of Pythias ritual was written here by Justus H. Rathbone during the winter of 1859-60. The little school house in which he taught is preserved as a shrine by the Keweenaw County Historical Society.
Erected by Keweenaw County Road Commission.
Location. 47° 27.488′ N, 88° 9.653′ W. Marker is in Eagle Harbor, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Route 26 and North Street, on the right when traveling north on State Route 26. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mohawk MI 49950, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eagle Harbor House (about 500 feet away, measured in Lake Shore Drive Bridge / Eagle River (approx. 7.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Exploring Eagle Harbor and Eagle River in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (Submitted on August 16, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.