“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarksville in Montgomery County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Town Spring

Town Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Manning, February 18, 2012
1. Town Spring Marker
Inscription. This is the site of the town spring that was the source of water for early Clarksville. In 1784 the city founders erected a fort and laid out the town. Later, the spring was capped and diverted to the Cumberland River. It was uncapped briefly during the 1937 flood when the city had no water supply. The spring remains capped and underground.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3C 70.)
Location. 36° 31.572′ N, 87° 21.695′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Tennessee, in Montgomery County. Marker is on North Spring Street north of Commerce Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clarksville TN 37040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Montgomery Statue (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clarksville in the Civil War (about 700 feet away); First Court House (about 700 feet away); Montgomery County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer Newspaper (approx. 0.2 miles away); Horace H. Lurton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kennedy and Glenn's Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Austin Peay (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clarksville.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 47 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement