Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alderson in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Alderson

 
 
Alderson Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 22, 2014
1. Alderson Marker
Inscription. Settled in 1777 by “Elder” John Alderson, the frontier missionary. He organized the first Baptist church in the Greenbrier Valley. In 1763, the Muddy Creek settlements were destroyed by Shawnee Indians under Cornstalk.
 
Location. 37° 43.548′ N, 80° 38.556′ W. Marker is in Alderson, West Virginia, in Greenbrier County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverview Avenue (West Virginia Route 12) and Monroe Street, on the right when traveling east on Riverview Avenue. Click for map. The marker is located on the north end of the Alderson Memorial Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Alderson WV 24910, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greenbrier County / Monroe County (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alderson's Ferry (about 600 feet away); Alderson Baptist Academy and Junior College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reformatory for Women (approx. 0.4 miles away); Greenbrier County / Summers County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Greenbrier (approx. 7 miles away); Unknown Soldiers/ Gen. Lewis' Trace (approx. 7.6 miles away); Big Bend Tunnel (approx. 8.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Alderson.
 
Also see . . .  The History of Alderson, West Virginia
Wide view of the Alderson Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 22, 2014
2. Wide view of the Alderson Marker
. (Submitted on August 24, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.ExplorationNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Site of the Old Greenbrier Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, August 22, 2014
3. Site of the Old Greenbrier Baptist Church
The fourth church, built in 1930, stands in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement