Wabash in Wabash County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Paradise Spring Historical Park
Paradise Spring Riverwalk
A portion of the Wabash and Erie Canal ran though the site from 1834 to 1872. In 1902 an electric urban railroad was built on the towpath of the abandoned canal. The Public Service Corporation operated the electric rail until 1938.
In 1856 the first train arrived in Wabash. The Cincinnati, Wabash, and Michigan Railroad, long since known as the Big Four (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad) was constructed through Wabash County. A portion of that railroad line passes to the east of the park and remains in operation to this day.
Location. 40° 47.727′ N, 85° 48.946′ W. Marker is in Wabash, Indiana, in Wabash County. Marker can be reached from S. Huntington Street south of E. Fulton Street. Click for map. Marker is located in the southern part of Paradise Spring Park east of the parking lot; the above directions are to the park’s southwest parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Wabash IN 46992, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Settler's Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wabash River (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Big Four Railroad (about 400 feet away); Storage Cabin (about 600 feet away); Council House (about 600 feet away); Kin-Com-A-Ong Spring (about 600 feet away); The Wabash River and the Big Four Cut (about 600 feet away); Quarters of Captain Frederick R. Kintner (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Wabash.
Categories. • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.