Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Haymarket in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Colonial Roads

 
 
Colonial Roads Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 10, 2006
1. Colonial Roads Marker
Inscription. The town of Haymarket, chartered in 1799, owes its location to the junction of the Old Carolina Road and the north branch of the Dumfries Road at the site of the Red House. The Carolina Road developed from the Iroquois hunting path which was abandoned by the Indians after 1722 when they were forced by treaty beyond the Blue Ridge. The Dumfries Road was in use as a major trade route between the Potomac and the Shenandoah Valley before 1740.
 
Erected 1979 by the Prince William County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 65.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Prince William County Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 38° 48.753′ N, 77° 38.247′ W. Marker is in Haymarket, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street (Virginia Route 55) and Fayette Street, on the left when traveling west on Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14950 Washington Street, Haymarket VA 20169, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Marker at the Old Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 10, 2006
2. Marker at the Old Town Hall
The old Town Hall is now the Haymarket Museum.
At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Haymarket During the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); Haymarket During the War (within shouting distance of this marker); Haymarket Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul's, Episcopal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Second Battle of Manassas (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Haymarket.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of Haymarket History. (Submitted on December 16, 2006.)
2. Town of Haymarket Comprehensive Plan (2008 - 2013). The best source of documentation on the history and specific location of the Red House tavern. (Submitted on August 19, 2009, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraRoads & Vehicles
 
Site of the Red House tavern image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 18, 2009
3. Site of the Red House tavern
Located on the NE corner of Jefferson St (Carolina Road) and Washington St (Dumfries Road) in the town of Haymarket, the Red House tavern was built by William Skinker prior to 1780 and was burned by Federal forces on November 5, 1862. The current structure post-dates the Civil War.
Railroad caboose outside Haymarket Museum image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 4, 2007
4. Railroad caboose outside Haymarket Museum
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,743 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Historic photo of the Red House • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement