Beaver Crossing in Seward County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Beaver Crossing, Nebraska
About 1871 the post office was moved to the present-day town site where a flour mill had been built. During this decade many settlers arrived and Beaver Crossing grew and prospered. The town was incorporated in 1892.
This area was well known for its artesian wells. The first one was discovered in 1895. Wells in this park poured fresh water into what was once the largest swimming pool in the state. Other wells supplied the Smiley Botanical Gardens on the southeast edge of town. In the 1930s goldfish and water lilies were raised there commercially in fifty ponds. Later, the demands of irrigation dropped the water table and the artesian wells went dry.
Erected by Beaver Crossing Chamber of Commerce; Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 363.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 46.583′ N, 97° 16.638′ Click for map. South side of Beaver Crossing city park. Marker is in this post office area: Beaver Crossing NE 68313, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Beaver Crossing Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); PFC Charley Havlat (approx. 12.5 miles away); 1879 Exeter 1979 (approx. 12.9 miles away); Seward, 4th of July City (approx. 13 miles away); Plum Creek Prairie Historic Site (approx. 13.2 miles away); Pleasant Hill (approx. 16.1 miles away).
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.