Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The initial construction of Fort Ward was completed in September 1861. The fort was built to protect the approaches to Union-occupied Alexandria via the Leesburg Turnpike (King Street) and Little River Turnpike (Duke Street).
By late 1864, the perimeter of the earthwork fort had been enlarged from 540 yards and 24 gun positions to 818 yards and 36 guns. Fort Ward was the fifth largest stronghold in the Defenses of Washington and was considered a model of 19th-century military design and engineering. The fort was named for Commander James Harmon Ward, the first Union naval officer to die in the Civil War. It ws dismantled by December 1865.
Defenses of Washington
The only battle fought in the Defenses of Washington occurred in July 1864, when General Jubal A. Early's Confederate forces attacked Fort Stevens, located approximately seven
At the end of the Civil War, the forts and batteries were dismantled and the materials sold at auction. Fort Foote, the last remaining earthwork fort in the Defenses, was deactivated in 1878.
Today, extant remains of many of these fortifications can still be found. The above map shows the 37-mile network of Union forts that protected the Federal Capital. The Defenses of Washington was the most extensive fortification system constructed in the Western Hemisphere.
Erected by City of Alexandria.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 49.767′ N, 77° 6.114′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker can be reached from West Braddock Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located between the parking lot and the museum at Fort Ward Historic Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4301 West Braddock Road, Alexandria VA 22304, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Entrance Gate to Fort Ward (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Ward (within shouting distance of this marker); Bombproof The Oakland Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Ward (about 300 feet away); Oakland Baptist Church Cemetery (about 300 feet away); Within Its Walls (about 400 feet away); Southwest Bastion (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Alexandria.
More about this marker. On the left below the title is an engineering diagram of the main part of Fort Ward. On the right above the Defenses of Washington section is a map showing the fortification chain around Washington, D.C. A small caption in the center states, Please help preserve Fort Ward for future generations by walking only on designated pathways. Climbing upon the fragile earthen walls of the fort is very destructive to the site.
Also see . . . Fort Ward Historic Site. (Submitted on May 8, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,138 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.