Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1890 Cornerstone Ceremony
The building of the Colorado County Courthouse began with a public celebration on July 7, 1890. About 3,000 people attended a barbecue in a grove north of town. They later marched to the Courthouse Square in a procession led by a local marching band. Members of Caledonia Lodge No. 68, A.F.&A.M. laid the cornerstone with Masonic ceremonies. Following the ceremony the crowd gathered together for a return procession to the grove. Later that evening a grand ball was held at the Stafford Opera House. The new Courthouse was completed in February 1891.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 26.)
Location. 29° 42.362′ N, 96° 32.38′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Travis Street and Walnut Street (U.S. 90), on the right when traveling south on Travis Street. Click for map. The marker is on the northeast corner of the building. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. District Court Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Tumlinson Family (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rangers of Austin's Colony Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker); Stafford-Miller House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Memorial Museum (about 300 feet away); Stage Lines Through Columbus (about 300 feet away); Old Stafford Opera House (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.