Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Maxville in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Sir Edward Robert Peacock, G.C.V.O.

1871-1962

 
 
Sir Edward Robert Peacock Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Craft, August 27, 2014
1. Sir Edward Robert Peacock Marker
Inscription.
An internationally renowned financier, Peacock was born near here in the former Congregational Church manse and educated at Queen's University in Kingston. He taught at Upper Canada College for seven years before joining the Dominion Securities Corporation, a prominent investment company, in 1902. Five years later he was transferred to London, England to manage the firm's European office. Acclaimed for his exceptional financial abilities, Peacock played an increasingly important role in the international securities market and in industrial organization and reconstruction as a director of the Bank of England (1921-24, 1929-46), the head of Baring Brothers and Company (1929-54) and a director of the Commonwealth Development Finance Company (1953-59). He also became a trusted adviser to the Royal Family and was knighted for his services in 1934.
 
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Communications.
 
Location. 45° 18.715′ N, 74° 52.544′ W. Marker is in Maxville, Ontario, in Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties. Marker is on Kenyon Concession 19 0.1 kilometers west of Highland Road (County Route 20), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal
Sir Edward Robert Peacock Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Craft, August 27, 2014
2. Sir Edward Robert Peacock Marker
address: 18191 Kenyon Concession 19, Maxville, Ontario K0C 1T0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glengarry Congregational Church (a few steps from this marker); The Rev. Charles W. Gordon (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line).
 
More about this marker. The marker is located adjacent to the oldest remaining chapel in Ontario built by Congregationalists.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia - Sir Edward Robert Peacock. (Submitted on September 3, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement