“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sidney in Cheyenne County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

Fort Sidney

Fort Sidney Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 23, 2014
1. Fort Sidney Marker
Inscription. Sidney Barracks, when established in 1867, was a temporary camp with one permanent structure, a blockhouse located to the north. In 1869 the Fort was relocated at this site and in 1870 the name was officially changed to Fort Sidney. The primary service of the Fort was in protecting construction crews from hostile Indians while building the Union Pacific.

Fort Sidney became a major strategic point on the Plains in the mid-1870ís. With the discovery of gold in the Black Hills, the town of Sidney and the Fort became the major supply point. The trail to Fort Robinson and the Black Hills was of strategic importance during the Indian troubles of 1874-1877 in serving freight wagons and stage coaches. At the same time, Sidney was an important trail town and railhead in the picturesque cattle business of the Old West.

The last Indian alarm at Fort Sidney was the most dramatic. In 1878 the Cheyenne, under Dull Knife, broke from their reservation in Oklahoma and staged an epic flight across Kansas and Nebraska. A special train was kept ready at Sidney to be rushed either way to intercept the Indians when they came to the Union Pacific. On October 4 the train was rushed to Ogallala, but the Indians escaped into the Sandhills. The post was closed in 1894 and the buildings were sold in 1899.
Erected by
Fort Sidney Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 23, 2014
2. Fort Sidney Marker
Sidney Kiwanis Club and Historical Land Mark Council. (Marker Number 16.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 8.693′ N, 102° 58.153′ W. Marker is in Sidney, Nebraska, in Cheyenne County. Marker is at the intersection of Illinois Street (aka Lincoln Highway) (U.S. 30) and Ball Street, on the right when traveling east on Illinois Street (aka Lincoln Highway). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sidney NE 69162, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hickory Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sioux Army Depot (approx. 8.1 miles away).
Also see . . .  Fort Sidney - Fortwiki. Fort Sidney (1867-1894) - First established in 1867 at Sidney, Nebraska, by Captain Bernard P. Mimmack, 30th Infantry, as Sidney Barracks, a sub post of Fort Sedgwick in Colorado. The post became independent in 1870. Renamed Fort Sidney, 30 Dec 1878, after Sidney Dillon, New York attorney for the Union Pacific Railroad. Abandoned in 1894. (Submitted on September 3, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWars, US Indian
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement