Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum

 
 
Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judy King, September 4, 2014
1. Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum Marker
Inscription. Early pioneers settled in the Arlington area around 1830. A depot, called Withe Station, was established in 1856. The land was given by General Samuel Jackson Hays. In 1872 his land holdings were sold at public auction and the community became Haysville, incorporated in 1878. The name was changed to Arlington in 1883, and again incorporated in 1900. In 1905, the Arlington Bank and Trust Company was established in this building.
 
Erected 1982 by Arlington Chapter of the APTA.
 
Location. 35° 17.772′ N, 89° 39.681′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Chester Street and Walker Street, on the right when traveling south on Chester Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington TN 38002, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arlington Historic Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrell Farm Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hughes-College Hill Park (approx. half a mile away); Arlington Cemetery
Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judy King, September 4, 2014
2. Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum Marker
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Memphis's Civil War Sites (approx. 2.3 miles away); Grey's Creek Baptist Church (approx. 6 miles away); Old Stagecoach Inn (approx. 6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 239 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement