“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

McGehee Crossing

McGehee Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, July 10, 2003
1. McGehee Crossing Marker
Inscription. The Camino Real, also known as the Old San Antonio Road and the King's Highway, followed a route from Nacogdoches to the Rio Grande. Louis Juchereau de St. Denis (1676-1744) traveled the route to establish trade between the French in Louisiana and the Spanish of Coahuila Province on the Rio Grande in 1714.

The first settlement at the San Marcos River crossing of the road was Villa San Marcos de Neve, established by the Spanish in 1808. It was abandoned by 1812 due to the brewing Mexican revolution.

During their colonization efforts in 1820 and 1821, Moses Austin (1761-1821) and his son, Stephen F. Austin (1793-1836), very likely crossed the San Marcos River near this point.

Thomas Gilmer McGehee (1810-1890) settled on the east side of the river on a Mexican land grant about 1846. In 1859 his nephew, Charles L. McGehee, Jr. (1837-1929), acquired 1200 acres of land bordered by the Camino Real and the river. Ten years later he sold the land to his cousin, George T. McGehee (1836-1926). Due to the McGehee family's association with this historic site, it became known as McGehee Crossing.
Erected 1987 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10293.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic
Old San Antonio Road Monument image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 1, 2014
2. Old San Antonio Road Monument
This monument is about 30 feet from where the McGehee Crossing marker once was.
Trail marker series.
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 29° 52.259′ N, 97° 53.787′ W. Marker was in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker was at the intersection of San Marcos Highway (Texas Route 80) and Old Bastrop Road (County Route 266), on the right when traveling west on San Marcos Highway. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign (approx. 0.8 miles away); Charles Lewis McGehee Cabin (approx. 1.1 miles away); Site of the First Town of San Marcos (approx. 1.1 miles away); Don Felipe Roque de la Portilla (approx. 1.1 miles away); Gen. Antonio Gaona’s 1836 Campaign (approx. 1.9 miles away but has been reported missing); San Marcos Springs (approx. 2.5 miles away); Post San Marcos (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Calaboose (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Marcos.
Categories. Hispanic AmericansNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
McGehee Crossing Marker Post image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 1, 2014
3. McGehee Crossing Marker Post
I think this picture is self explanatory.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 84 times this year. Last updated on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   2, 3. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement