Washington in Washington County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
After Pittsburgh Railways opened its new line to Washington in 1909, Richfol shelter was built to serve the busy Standard Tin Plate factory in Canonsburg's east end; the stop was named after two of the firms's senior managers.
The structure served there until the end of trolley service in 1953 and then became a school bus waiting station several miles away. Thirty years later, a local businessman donated the badly deteriorated shelter to the museum, where it was carefully restored to the fine condition you see today.
Erected by Pennsylvania Trolley Museum.
Location. 40° 12.408′ N, 80° 15.291′ W. Marker is in Washington, Pennsylvania, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Museum Road. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. Admission fee required. Marker is in this post office area: Washington PA 15301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow 25 Ton G.E. Diesel-Electric Locomotive 89 (a few steps from this marker); Washington (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Washington (approx. 2.5 miles away); Gantz Oil Well (approx. 2.5 miles away but has been reported missing); Washington and Jefferson College (approx. 2.5 miles away); Captain Philo McGiffin (approx. 2.5 miles away); Gamma Chapter of Beta Theta Pi (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Washington and Jefferson College (approx. 2.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
Also see . . . Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. (Submitted on September 10, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.