Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wayne in Passaic County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Schuyler – Colfax

 
 
Schuyler – Colfax Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 11, 2008
1. Schuyler – Colfax Marker
Inscription. This house is an example of 18th century architecture. The Schuyler and Colfax families were prominent in shaping New Jersey history.
 
Erected by State of New Jersey.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
 
Location. 40° 59.268′ N, 74° 16.752′ W. Marker is in Wayne, New Jersey, in Passaic County. Marker is on Hamburg Turnpike (U.S. 202), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wayne NJ 07470, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Schuyler Colfax House (here, next to this marker); DeMille Gatehouse (approx. 0.8 miles away); Washington’s Headquarters (approx. one mile away); Pompton Lakes World War II & Korean War Memorial (approx. one mile away); Battleship Maine (approx. one mile away); Pompton Lakes World War I Memorial (approx. one mile away); Emanuel Einstein Memorial Library (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pompton Reformed Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wayne.
 
Also see . . .  Schuyler Colfax House - Wayne, NJ. (Submitted on May 15, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Marker on Hamburg Turnpike image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 11, 2008
2. Marker on Hamburg Turnpike
Gen. George Washington stayed at this house from July 11 through 14, 1777.
Schuyler-Colfax House with Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 11, 2008
3. Schuyler-Colfax House with Marker
The Schuyler-Colfax House was built in 1695, by Arent Schuyler, who owned a number of mines throughout New Jersey. The Schuyler family still owned the house at the time of the American Revolution.
Schuyler-Colfax House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 11, 2008
4. Schuyler-Colfax House
During Washington's stay here in 1777, Capt. William Colfax of the Life Guard met Miss Hester Schuyler, whom he later married. Their son, Schuyler Colfax, was President Grant's vice president.
National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 11, 2008
5. National Register of Historic Places Plaque
The Schuyler – Colfax House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,196 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement