Lockport in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lowertown Historic District
"A village within a city," Lowertown thrived as Lockport's social, commercial and industrial center between the years of 1829 and 1950. During this period, most of the aristocracy of the city lived in this section. Among the most notable structures that were built during Lowertown's heyday, and are still standing, are the Washington Hunt House, the First Bank of Niagara County, Christ Church and the Vine Street School. Also a number of fine brick and local stone built residences exemplifying the style of that era still stand along Market Street overlooking the canal.
The Lowertown Historic District was entered on the National Register of Historic Places on June 4, 1973.
Location. 43° 10.715′ N, 78° 40.946′ W. Marker is in Lockport, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and North Adam Street, on the right when traveling west on Market Street. Click for map. Marker is by the North Adam Street Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Lockport NY 14094, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lockport Bank (about 500 feet away, measured in a The Erie Barge Canal at Lockport (approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing); The Sluice and Hall Spillway (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named The Lowertown Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Original Niagara Grape Vine (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lockport Federal Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lockport War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Lockport Residents Killed in World Wars I and II (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lockport.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.