Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Marston Block, 1881

 
 
Marston Block, 1881 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dean Whittle, January 18, 2012
1. Marston Block, 1881 Marker
Inscription. In 1881, George Marston located his third department store in this two-story Victorian Italian-style building. It remained here until 1896 when it was relocated to a larger building. Until the 1970s, Marstonís was the largest and most successful San Diego based department store, and was purchased by Broadway Stores. The building suffered severe fire damage in 1903, and had to undergo extensive remodeling. The first gaslamp was placed on the corner in 1885, and on March 16, 1886, the first electric arc lamp was illuminated outside this building.
 
Erected by Gaslamp Quarter. (Marker Number 35.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Gaslamp Quarter - San Diego marker series.
 
Location. 32° 42.82′ N, 117° 9.6′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of F Street and 5th Avenue. Click for map. Marker and building are located on the northeast corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 F Street, San Diego CA 92101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keating Building, 1890 (a few steps from this marker); Mercantile Building, 1894 (within shouting distance
Marston Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dean Whittle, January 18, 2012
2. Marston Block Marker
of this marker); Sheldon Block (within shouting distance of this marker); George Hill Building, 1897 (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James Hotel, 1912 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Balboa Theatre (about 600 feet away); I.O.O.F. Building, 1882 (about 800 feet away); US Grant Hotel (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Diego.
 
Also see . . .  History of the Gaslamp Quarter. Once a notorious “red light” district teeming with sailors, bars and brothels, the Stingaree occupied the area from the waterfront between 6th and 1st Avenues up to Market Street. Sailors joked that it was far easier to get “stung” in this bawdy part of town than it was in the bay with all its stingrays. (Submitted on January 20, 2012.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
The Corner of F and 5th Streets image. Click for full size.
By Dean Whittle, January 18, 2012
3. The Corner of F and 5th Streets
The Marston Block Building on the right and the Keating Building on the left.
The Corner of F and 5th Streets image. Click for full size.
4. The Corner of F and 5th Streets
The same view from the early 20th Century.
Marston Block Building image. Click for full size.
By Dean Whittle, January 18, 2012
5. Marston Block Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dean Whittle of San Diego, California. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on , by Larry Gilbert of San Diego, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Dean Whittle of San Diego, California.   3. submitted on , by Dean Whittle of San Diego, California.   4. submitted on , by Maja Tajima of San Diego, California.   5. submitted on , by Dean Whittle of San Diego, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement