Kopp in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Belle Haven Baptist Church
December 20, 1885 – September 30, 1945
Property donated by Thomas Woolfenden, Sr. who moved from Baltimore in 1880, after serving three years in the Civil War, to Prince William County and he named it wonderful Prince William County.
Belle Haven Church is named after Isabelle Woolfenden. The foundation of the Belle Haven School is directly across the street.
At the time of Thomas Woolfenden’s death at the age of 86, he owned approximately a thousand acres of Prince William County.
(In memory of my grandfather, Thomas Woolfenden, Sr. by Raymond “Cousin Ray” Woolfenden, Sr.)
Kopp, Virginia Post Office
Erected 1945 by Raymond “Cousin Ray” Woolfenden, Sr.
Location. 38° 34.921′ N, 77° 26.103′ W. Marker is in Kopp, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on MCB-1. Click for map. Marker is on Quantico Marine Corps Base. Authorization is required to visit the base. Marker is in this post office area: Quantico VA 22134, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Range 14 Training Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); Quantico Baptist Church Quantico National Cemetery Carillon (approx. 4.4 miles away); Quantico National Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Howison Homestead (approx. 4.6 miles away); “Let There Be Lights” (approx. 4.6 miles away); Little Union Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Nolan H. Gray Reservoir (approx. 4.8 miles away).
Regarding Belle Haven Baptist Church. Please note the photo #9 is out of date. The gravestone for Thomas Woolfenden, Sr. has been replaced with a newer stone showing his military service in the Union army, 8th Maryland Regiment, Infantry. Thomas is one of two Union veterans buried at Belle Haven. The other is Daniel H. Magee. You may find a photo of Thomas' new stone at: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=17277483&PIpi=89091515 .
Also see . . . Additional information about the church and cemetery. According to the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission survey form at this link, "the church, which parishioners had hoped to save, was demolished in 1946. In 1947 the cemetery was again made available for new burials, though the title of the land remains with the U.S. government."
Also, the following Luck family graves were moved from Belle Haven Missionary
May Linton H-284-3A interred 12/16/42
Guy Luck H-284-3C interred 12/16/42
Arthur Luck H-284-2A interred 12/16/42
Edith Luck H-284-1A interred 12/16/42
James Luck, Sr. H-284-1C interred 12/16/42
Additional information on these individuals may be found on their memorial pages at findagrave.com by searching cemeteries, Belle Haven, United States, Virginia, Prince William County. (Submitted on June 17, 2016, by Raynee Woolfenden of Fairfax, Virginia.)
1. Kopp, Virginia
The largest acquisition of land in Quantico MCB history took place in 1942 to meet World War II Marine Corps training requirements. Almost 51,000 acres of land west of U.S. Highway 1 were purchased in 1942 and became a permanent part of the base in 1943. Included in this land was the town of Kopp.
Kopp, located near the current town of Independent Hill on the western portion of the Marine Corps Base, began in 1885. Once home to about 100 local farming families, it consisted of, at one time, a country store, a school, post office, and the Bellehaven Baptist Church. As a result of the land purchase and
The town of Kopp can still be located with internet mapping software.
— Submitted October 10, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
2. Foundation of the Holmes School
On the foundation of Holmes School, someone has affixed a temporary marker with historical information about the founding of Holmes School. It reads:
Belle Haven Missionary Baptist church records:
In the fall of 1883 Mr. Luck and Mr. Morath moved a saw mill onto their recently bought land. Mr. W. B. Lynn wanted a school closer for his two girls. The public school system was getting underway in lower Prince William. Mr. Luck agreed to saw the lumbar free if the neighbors would bring the logs. Thus the Belle-Haven community took its first communal steps and shortly A tiny schoolhouse, crude but useful, appeared on a half acre of land given by Mr. and Mrs. M. G. Holmes. The neighbors celebrated its advent with a Christmas tree. The Christmas of 1884. The old foundations of the school are still there across from Belle Haven Cemetery. After the
The first warm spring Sunday afternoon of 1885, three young ladies went for a walk down the old Bellfair Mill Road from Ben Murphy's: Anna Dewitt Annie Murphy and Lizzie DeWitt. Recalling recent doings as girls have a way of doing Holmes School xmas tree came in for comment. Said one, "Why can't we have Sunday School and preaching in our new schoolhouse?" Again, W.B. Lynn rides into the picture and the girls put the proposition up to him. Sure the house was built by the people for the people, go ahead. But a minister? Mr. Lynn was sure Mr. Lieber a retire Methodist minister living about 2 1/2 or 3 miles south of the new schoolhouse would be glad to speak to them when he could. So the request was sent and Mr. Lieber preached the first sermon at what was to be Belle-Haven Baptist Church. W.B. Lynn's brother A. Lynn came to visit W.B. and heard of the little schoolhouse and what was being done around his birthplace. Fired with a zeal to tell the old, old story he made an appointment and began to preach regularly in the new school house.
In 15 years Bellhaven had 8 pastors
Rev. A.T. Lynn 1885 to December 1889
Rev. R.P. Rixey 1915 to April 1917
— Submitted October 9, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
3. Manassas and Dumfries Telephone Company
James Luck, Jr. and Mr. James Arthur Vetter founded the Manassas and Dumfries Telephone Company in the parlor of the home of Thomas and Isabelle Woolfenden on March 1, 1903. James Luck, Jr. was the son-in-law of Thomas and Isabelle. He married their daughter Sarah Catherine "Katie" Woolfenden on 24 Jan 1900 at the Belle Haven Church. This phone company later became Commonwealth Telephone before being purchased by GTE. The company has since changed hands a couple of more times.
— Submitted September 17, 2010, by Raynee Woolfenden of Fairfax, Virginia.
Categories. • 20th Century • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,203 times since then and 299 times this year. Last updated on , by Raynee Woolfenden of Fairfax, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by Raynee Woolfenden of Fairfax, Virginia. 4. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Raynee Woolfenden of Fairfax, Virginia. 8, 9. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 10. submitted on , by Raynee Woolfenden of Fairfax, Virginia. 11. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 12. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 13. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 18, 2016.