Greenwood in Leflore County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Greenwood's First Artesian Well
Needing a fresh water supply for his ice company, Charles Edward Wright partnered with the mayor and Board of Aldermen to drill a well near this site. Wright and his business partner, Staige Marye, provided the boring rig, and the city provided piping. Drilling began in May 1895, and by June water was struck at a depth of nearly 500 feet. The well proved to be a clean source of water and became Greenwood's primary water supply. In 1897 Wright installed the city's first water works system.
Erected 2007 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Location. 33° 31.023′ N, 90° 10.988′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, Mississippi, in Leflore County. Marker is at the intersection of Wright Place and Fulton Street, on the right when traveling east on Wright Place. Click for map. Marker is in landscaping of the building parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Wright Place, Greenwood MS 38930, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery 'C' (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles Edward Wright (approx. 0.2 miles away); WGRM Radio Studio LeFlore County Confederate Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Point LeFlore (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenwood (approx. 0.3 miles away); Greenwood Cotton Row District (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Greenwood.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.