Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tremont in Hancock County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
 

A Stedfast Light

 
 
A Stedfast Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 8, 2014
1. A Stedfast Light Marker
Bass Harbor Head Light
44º 13.3’N, 68º 20.3’W

Built: 1858
Height: 56 feet above mean high water
Light: red occulting - 4 seconds on, 1 second off
Lens: 4th Order Fresnel Classical
Automated: 1974

The light is maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard. The small building east of the lighthouse was built in 1897, and housed the fog signal. The keeper’s quarters is a U.S. Coastguard residence.

Neither the lighthouse nor the quarters are open to the public.
Inscription. Bass Harbor Head Light stands at the southern most tip of Mount Desert Island and marks the entrance to Blue Hill Bay and Bass Harbor. Since 1858 it has warned mariners of navigation hazards along this rocky shore.
In the nineteenth century, the waters near this light station bustled with merchant ships, fishing vessels, and schooners, which carried granite, fish, lumber, and lyme to distant ports, or brought goods from around the world back to Maine.
Many of the islands you see were once inhabited by people who made their living from the surrounding sea. By 1860, nearly one in five Maine residents was a mariner. Today, Swan Island is the only island in view with a year-round population.
As ships and commerce have changed, the light station has been automated, but never darkened.
 
Location. 44° 13.32′ N, 68° 20.231′ W. Marker is in Tremont, Maine, in Hancock County. Marker is on Lighthouse Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 Lighthouse Road, Bass Harbor ME 04653, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bass Harbor Head Light (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Bass Harbor Head Light (within
Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 8, 2014
2. Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse
shouting distance of this marker); Joseph T. Musetti Jr. Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 5.6 miles away); Somes Sound (approx. 6.8 miles away); Gateway to Acadia (approx. 7.9 miles away); Glacial Freight (approx. 9.1 miles away); Alessandro Fabbri, Lieutenant, U.S.N.R.F. (approx. 9.5 miles away); Linking oceans, rivers and lakes (approx. 9.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Bass Harbor Head Light - Wikipedia. The history of Bass Harbor Head Light dates to 1855, when it was determined that there was sufficient reason for a lighthouse at the mouth of Bass Harbor. In 1858, the U.S. Congress appropriated $5,000 for construction of the lighthouse. In 1876, construction was completed on a fog bell and tower, since removed. (Submitted on September 16, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Additional keywords. lighthouse
 
Categories. LandmarksWaterways & Vessels
 
National Register of Historic Places plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 8, 2014
3. National Register of Historic Places plaque
This Property
has been place of the
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Bass Harbor Head Light Station
1858
Humorous Sign image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 8, 2014
4. Humorous Sign
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement