St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
His son, the second Dr. Andrew Anderson, developed the Markland orange grove, which extended from present-day Cordova St. westward to the San Sebastian River, into one of the most famous groves in Florida, after the Civil War.
As a friend and business associate of Dr. Anderson, Henry M. Flagler purchased the eastern portion of the grove in the 1880's for the site of the Hotel Ponce de Leon.
After the death of Dr. Anderson in 1924, the house was purchased by St. Augustine mayor, Herbert E. Wolfe who sold it to Flagler College in 1968.
Erected by St. Johns County Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 53.509′ N, 81° 19.008′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street (Business U.S. 1) and Markland Place, on the right when traveling west on King Street. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ponce De Leon Hotel (about 700 feet away); Alcazar Hotel / City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Don Pedro MenÚndez de Aviles (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Alcazar Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rosario Redoubt (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tolomato Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Wing Loring (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Markland House article. (Submitted on March 26, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida.)
Categories. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.