Clet Hall, Marillac Hall, Laboure Hall
Clet Hall (1862)
The first building erected after purchase of the campus in 1856 was Clet Hall. it was build in 1862 to house Our Lady of Angels Seminary, the institution that was the forerunner of Niagara University. Clet has two wings, Marillac Hall and Laboure Hall. The complex serves as a residence hall and also houses the dining halls, the campus club, the NU Theatre, and the theatre department offices. Clet is named for Francis Regis Clet, a Frenchman who served as a Vincentian missionary in China for the last 30 years of his life (1748-1820). He was martyred during an anti-Christian persecution. He was beautified in 1900.
Marillic Hall (1862)
One of the two wings of Clet Hall, Marillac serves primarily as a residence hall. It is named for St. Louise de Marillac, D.C., (1591-1660), co-founder with St. Vincent de Paul of the Daughters of Charity. She was canonized in 1934 and proclaimed the patron saint of all Christian social workers in 1960.
Laboure Hall (1862)
A wing of Clet Hall, Laboure Hall is home to the theatre department. It is named for St. Catherine Laboure, D.C. (1806-1876), who had a series of five apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The design for the miraculous medal resulted from those apparitions. Catherine was canonized in 1947.
Location. 43° 8.311′ N, 79° 2.378′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County. Marker can be reached from Lewiston Road (New York State Route 104) 0.1 miles north of Hyde Park Boulevard (New York State Route 61), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is on the campus of Niagara University. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara University NY 14109, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of Thomas F. Hopkins (a few steps from this marker); Alumni Hall / Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Vincent's Hall (about 400 feet away); Lynch Hall (1927), O'Donoughue Hall (1909) (about 600 feet away); Varsity Village (1939), Timon Hall (1952) (about 700 feet away); Bailo Hall (1992) (about 800 feet away); The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels (about 800 feet away); Dunleavy Hall (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Lewiston.
More about this marker. There is no parking on Lewiston Road.
Also see . . . Niagara University. (Submitted on September 18, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.