Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodbridge in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“Leesylvania”

 
 
“Leesylvania” Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2006
1. “Leesylvania” Marker
Marker has not been repainted in some time.
Inscription. This historically important property was part of a land grant dating back to 1658 and was the site of “Leesylvania,” the home of Henry Lee II (1729–1789). The Neabsco Iron Foundry, which was located nearby, furnished “pig iron and shot” to the Virginia Navy and also helped to equip the Commonwealth’s militia during the Revolution.
 
Erected 1958 by The Tidewater Oil Company.
 
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 38° 36.385′ N, 77° 17.556′ W. Marker was in Woodbridge, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker was on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) south of Neabsco Road and Cardinal Drive, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Woodbridge VA 22191, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Confederate Winter Camps (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Neabsco Iron Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); Events Along Neabsco Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Leesylvania (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dumfries Rest Area
“Leesylvania” Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2006
2. “Leesylvania” Marker
(approx. one mile away); Neabsco Mills Ironworks (approx. one mile away); Rippon Lodge ~ Neabsco Creek (approx. one mile away); Rippon Lodge ~ Latrobe's View (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Woodbridge.
 
Regarding “Leesylvania”. The mansion burned in the late 1700s. Leesylvania State Park, on 500 wooded acres bounded on three sides by water and bysected by the railroad from Richmond to Washington, is nearby at the end of Neabsco Road.
 
Also see . . .
1. Leesylvania State Park. A history by James R. Arnold, published in 1985. (Submitted on December 19, 2006.) 

2. The History of the Prince William County Waterfront. 1998 illustrated monograph by Debrarae Karnes. (Large PDF file on slow server. Be patient and document will appear.) (Submitted on December 19, 2006.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,443 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement