Warsaw in Duplin County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The War Comes to Warsaw
Lewis's Railroad Raid
—Confederate Lifeline —
On July 5, 1863, Lt. Col. George W. Lewis’s 3rd New York Cavalry struck Warsaw at 6 a.m., after burning the Confederated States Armory at Kenansville the day before and emptying a safe (now on display at the Duplin County Veterans Museum) of a large amount of Confederate money. Lewis’s primary mission was to demolish Wilmington and Weldon Railroad track. His troopers destroyed two miles of track and telegraph wire, removing the wire and cutting down the poles.
Here in Warsaw, two rail cars, a freight house full of Confederate stores, about 4,000 barrels of resin and turpentine, and some gunpowder were destroyed. Lewis’s men took about 150 head of livestock and several bags of mail with them when they left, as well as 30 prisoners. About 400 black men, women, and children followed the Union forces as they rode away, back east through Kenansville toward Trenton in the afternoon. En route, the Federals burned a barn containing hundreds of pounds of bacon, the aroma filled the air here for several days thereafter.
Lewis’s departure may have been prompted in part by the proximity of four companies of Confederate
(lower left) Federal cavalrymen destroying railroad track - Courtesy Library of Congress
(upper right) Ca. 1845 Pierce-Bowden House, W. Hill St., a Confederate hospital during the war - Courtesy Leon Sikes
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 0.102′ N, 78° 5.466′ W. Marker is in Warsaw, North Carolina, in Duplin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Hill Street and North Center Street, on the left when traveling east on East Hill Street. Click for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Duplin County Veterans Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 East Hill Street, Warsaw NC 28398, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry L. Stevens, Jr. (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veteran’s Memorial (approx. James Kenan (approx. 3.2 miles away); Duplin Old Courthouse Site (approx. 3.2 miles away); Confederate Armory (approx. 7.5 miles away); Confederate States Armory (approx. 7.5 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate States Armory (approx. 7.5 miles away); Samson L. Faison (approx. 8.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Warsaw.
Also see . . . Duplin County Veterans’ Museum. (Submitted on September 20, 2014.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.