Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenwood in Leflore County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

LeFlore County Confederate Memorial

 
 
LeFlore County Confederate Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 13, 2014
1. LeFlore County Confederate Memorial
Inscription.
Front
CSA
1861-1865
Leflore County's tribute
to her sons and daughters
of the Southern Confederacy.
Erected under the auspices
of the Varina Jefferson Davis
Chapter United Daughters
of the Confederacy.
Oct. 9, 1913.
Left
Steamer Star
of the West.
In 1861 the
first gun of
the War Between
the States was
fired at this
vessel in
Charleston Harbor.

Replica of pilot wheel of
the steamer Star of the West.

The "Star of the
West" was captured
by a squad of
Confederate
Cavalry at Sabine
Pass, and scuttled
in 1863 in
Tallahatchie River
at Fort Pemberton,
three miles from
Greenwood.
Rear
"Father, thy will be done."
To the Confederate Woman
None has told the story of her,
whose heart and life were a
sacrifice. Offered as valiantly
and unselfishly upon the altar of
her Southland, as was any warrior's
life upon the battlefield. So to
her in part we have placed this
monument, that all may know she
loved her country, and enfold her
memory in eternal glory,
cherishing it forever.
Right
A testimonial of
our
LeFlore County Confederate Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 13, 2014
2. LeFlore County Confederate Memorial
LeFlore County Courthouse in background.
affection and
reverence for the
Confederate soldier;
the memory of whose
brave deeds and heroic
life and the principles
for which he sacrificed
so much we bequeath
to our children through
all future generations.

 
Erected 1913 by The Varina Jefferson Davis Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
 
Location. 33° 31.221′ N, 90° 11.04′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, Mississippi, in Leflore County. Marker is at the intersection of Fulton Street and West Market Street, on the left when traveling north on Fulton Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 West Market Street, Greenwood MS 38930, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Point LeFlore (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenwood (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); WGRM Radio Studio (about 500 feet away); Greenwood Cotton Row District (about 700 feet
Confederate Memorial (Left Side) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 13, 2014
3. Confederate Memorial (Left Side)
away); Battery 'C' (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenwood's First Artesian Well (approx. mile away); Charles Edward Wright (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Greenwood.
 
Categories. War, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
 
Confederate Memorial (Rear) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 13, 2014
4. Confederate Memorial (Rear)
Confederate Memorial (Right side) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 13, 2014
5. Confederate Memorial (Right side)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement