“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Krum in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Plainview Cemetery

Plainview Cemetery Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, September 21, 2014
1. Plainview Cemetery Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. Located in western Denton County, Plainview Cemetery served as a burial ground for early settlers in the area. The Plainview community began around 1878 when the families of Gideon Kimbrough (1833-1923) and William Kimbrough (1824-1912) and their families arrived from Bellville, Tennessee. As the community grew, the need for a school was recognized and a one-room school building was erected. In 1894, a Baptist Sunday school began to meet in the building. The Plainview Baptist Church formed in 1896 and built a church on land donated by C.R. Moreman. In 1898, a plot of land adjoining the church was purchased from the estate of James B. Walker (1848-1898) to be used as a cemetery. Mr. Walker was the first burial in the cemetery. It became the only cemetery for the Plainview community.

At least five people from the area were buried in the cemetery prior to 1900. A large increase in burials took place in the early 1900s because of a national influenza epidemic. The cemetery has a variety of marble and cement headstones marked with biblical scripture, masonic markings, woodmen seals and military headstones. Many founding families of the community have gravesites in the cemetery as well as generations of their descendants. Maintained by the Plainview Cemetery Association, the graves provide a record of the settlers of the area, including
Plainview Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, September 21, 2014
2. Plainview Cemetery Marker
teachers, preachers and veterans. The Plainview Baptist Church and the cemetery are the only remnants of this once flourishing farming community.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2012
Marker is Property of the State of Texas

Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17602.)
Location. 33° 17.48′ N, 97° 19.155′ W. Marker is in Krum, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1173 0.2 miles west of Plainview Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is just inside the cemetery, to the left of the gates. The cemetery is behind the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12221 FM 1173, Krum TX 76249, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John B. Denton (approx. 12 miles away); The City of Denton (approx. 12 miles away); Beulah A. Harriss (approx. 12.1 miles away).
Also see . . .  Plainview Cemetery Texas Historical Marker Dedication Ceremony. (Submitted on October 7, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas.)
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.EducationSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 386 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement