Floresville in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Town: Lodi
Stephen T. Cook settled here in 1858, putting in a store and securing office of postmaster. He may have named Lodi for a town in Mississippi, his old home state. Wilson County was organized in an election held Feb. 13, 1860. Samuel W. Barker (husband of local aristocrat Josefa Flores) became the first sheriff of the new county. Improved roads were built here.
After the Civil War, Wilson County voters on Dec. 8, 1867, designated Lodi county seat — an honor lost to Floresville in 1872. Area then reverted to ranching.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 29° 8.113′ N, 98° 9.906′ W. Marker is in Floresville, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of Trail Street (Farm to Market Road 536) and Goliad Road, on the right when traveling south on Trail Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Floresville TX 78114, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cemetery of Canary Islanders (approx. 0.9 miles away); Vicinity of site: "Mision de las Cabras" (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016.