San Patricio in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Education in San Patricio
Education in San Patricio began in 1830 on this site in the picket cabin of Catherine Hoy. In 1876 Saint Joseph's Convent was erected here. The Sisters of Mercy, having left Indianola after the Hurricane of 1875, came to run the Mother House and school in San Patricio. It closed in 1884. The three story building was razed in 1897 and the lumber was used to build the first Catholic church in Sinton. The nuns were Mother Camillus Lucas, Sister Joseph Dunn, Sister Stanislaus Brodrick and six postulants.
Erected 1976 by Order of The Alhambra Baza Caravan No. 78.
Location. 27° 57.269′ N, 97° 46.247′ W. Marker is in San Patricio, Texas, in San Patricio County. Marker is on Magnolia Street (County Route 60) 0.1 miles east of Main Street (County Route 666), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20742 Magnolia Street, Mathis TX 78368, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Patrick's Catholic Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Dougherty House (about 600 feet away); San Patricio de Hibernia Early Odem Area Schools (approx. 11.5 miles away); White Point / Rosita (approx. 11.5 miles away); Meansville and Kaleta (approx. 11.5 miles away).
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.