Near Falling Spring in Bath County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Falling Spring Falls
Welcome to Falling Spring Falls in the Heart of the Alleghany Highlands.
According to the book, “Historical Sketches of the Alleghany Highlands” by Gay Arritt, 82 acres of land including, the Falling Spring Falls was granted by King George III of Great Britain to Gabriel Jones in August 1771. In 1780 Thomas Jefferson, as Governor of Virginia, granted the property to Major Thomas Massie.
The site was once visited by Jefferson to survey the falls and he mentions it in his manuscripts “Notes on the State of Virginia” written in 1781. “The only remarkable cascade in this country is that of the Falling Spring in Augusta,” wrote Jefferson, “...it falls over a rock 200 feet into the valley below.”
From 1914 to 1926 a producer of travertine material, Ohio C. Barber Fertilizer Company, mined fertilizer in Barber, Virginia, now called Falling Spring. In 1927 Falling Spring Lime Company assumed operations until 1941. Mining operations necessitated the relocation of the falls where it now plunges only 80 feet.
On November 28, 2004, Mead Westvaco donated the Falling Spring Falls and approximately 19 surrounding acres to the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation.
For more information contact Douthat State Park.
Location. 37° 52.054′ N, 79° 56.829′ W. Marker is near Falling Spring, Virginia, in Bath County. Marker is on Hot Springs Road (U.S. 220) just south of Falls Road (County Route 640). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hot Springs VA 24445, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Road to the Kanawha (approx. 1.3 miles away); Fort Breckenridge (approx. 1.5 miles away); Low Moor Iron Company Coke Ovens (approx. 6.2 miles away); Oakland Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away); Oakland Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Oakland Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away); Oakland Grove Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Fort Young (approx. 6.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Falling Spring.
More about this marker. Marker is at a small parking area on a wide spot of the road just north of the falls.
Regarding Falling Spring Falls. The falls are visible from the road. A protected walkway on the shoulder of the road leads from the parking area north of the falls back to the viewing area.
Also see . . .
1. Falling Spring Falls Earthcache. This page contains excellent photographs of the falls. “The stream rises in Warm River Cave, located on private property about a mile away. The water at its source, a mixture of warm thermal spring water and cold ground water, is approximately 85 degrees Fahrenheit year round and (Submitted on September 27, 2014.)
2. Wikipedia Entry for Travertine. “Travertine is a form of limestone deposited by mineral springs, especially hot springs. Travertine often has a fibrous or concentric appearance and exists in white, tan, cream-colored, and even rusty varieties. It is formed by a process of rapid precipitation of calcium carbonate, often at the mouth of a hot spring or in a limestone cave. ... It is frequently used in Italy and elsewhere as a building material.” (Submitted on September 27, 2014.)
Categories. • Environment • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 15 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 5, 6. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.